About Me

My photo

Retired archaeologist and governmental tree-hugger. I'm a: United Methodist lay pulpit supply preacher; semi-professional photographer; and poet.

Friday, April 8, 2016

THE UPRIGHT MAN



He was an upright man, and on his breath lingered the hint of sulfur. He traveled far and wide in his battle against the evils of (Islam; or homosexuality; or immigrants; or welfare queens; or scientists; or _____________ ).

On his way to yet another town, he was flattened by a brilliant light. As he lay blind and prostrate before the Lord, he heard "Why are you persecuting me?" "I am not," the frightened man said, "I am only saying it as it is! I am only speaking out against the enemies of my people!" And the light said, "Whatever you did to my brothers and sisters, you did to me!"

When the light was gone, his companions led him to town in his own darkness.

On the third day, the Lord sent him a (Muslim; gay person; Mexican; unwed mother; doctor; or ___________ ) to remove the stones from the tombs of his eyes, to let the light triumph over the dark within him. He emerged into the world a new person - reborn.

He was a righteous man, and on his breath lingered the hint of bread and wine. He traveled far and wide in his battle against the evils of intolerance, fear, and hate.

~ Tiwago (from Acts 9)

No comments: